Catalog optimization in Backstage can be found in the Promotion and Analytics sections. Both pages work together to provide a full and comprehensive analysis of your catalog's optimization. Specifically, use the Catalog optimization in Analytics in order to understand :
- Impact on your catalog over the last 365 days
- Impact and duration on each track over the last 365 days
- Impact on daily sources of traffic over the last 365 days
Which tracks are promoted?
Every month, Believe optimizes your catalog. Believe Smart Discovery technology predicts and promotes tracks that can gain profits from a boost in Spotify Discovery Mode.
How long does a campaign last?
Campaigns are stopped automatically if the royalty discount applied by Spotify is not compensated anymore by the gained streams.
How often is the information displayed on the page updated?
Track selection and impact estimation on the catalog are updated monthly. Catalog Optimization displays the track selection and estimated gained streams, up until the last day of the previous month (i.e. In April, Catalog Optimization displays the track selection and estimated gained streams up until March 31st).
Impact on a track level are updated daily with a 2-days delay (ie. on June 12th, you will see data until June 10th).
What data are displayed on this page ?
All data displayed in Catalog optimization are based on the last 365 days.
In the Catalog page :
- Total streams is the sum of all streams generated on Spotify.
- Gained streams is the estimated increase in streams attributed to Believe campaigns on Spotify Discovery Mode. Estimated gained streams are determined by the difference between streams on Spotify Radio and Autoplay before and after the campaign is launched. Hence, gained streams are calculated monthly for each activated track.
- Share of promoted streams is the ratio of gained streams over total streams, thus it represents the weight of Spotify Discovery Mode on a track's performance.
In the Track pages :
- Duration represents the number of months the track was activated over the last 365 days.
- Based on the monthly estimation and on the daily volume of Radio and Autoplay, we allocate an estimated value to the daily impact of Spotify Discovery Mode. You can analyze this data in the chart representing daily source of traffic in each track page.
How can I measure the indirect impact of Catalog Optimization ?
In the track page, on the chart, you can analyse the weight of each source of streams :
Green – Discovery Mode
Based on the monthly estimation and on the daily volume of Radio and Autoplay, we allocate an estimated value to the daily impact of the Discovery Mode campaign. It is only visible for months where the track was promoted through Discovery Mode and generated enough streams.
Light blue – Radio and Autoplay
The remaining sources after the allocation to Discovery Mode, as explained above.
Dark blue – User libraries
Streams generated directly from content that users have saved in their libraries.
Red – Playlists
Streams generated from playlists (editorial or algorithmic).
Orange – Other sources
For example, through a search.
Using this chart, you can get a good measure of the impact of Discovery Mode on your track’s overall performance, as well as check to see if there is a potential halo effect – meaning an increase in performance from other sources after your track was discovered through the campaign.