- Short-form Videos Analytics overview
Questions you may ask
- Is Douyin data available on the platform?
- How fresh is the displayed data?
- How is my catalog monetized on Short-form video platforms?
- What is the difference between UGC & PGC on Short-form video platforms?
- Do I analyze UGC or PGC in the Short-form videos page?
- I don't see the same number of video creations between Backstage and the TikTok app. How can you explain this gap?
Short-form videos Analytics overview
Short-form videos is a Data Music analytics section on Backstage dedicated to analyzing the performance of your tracks on TikTok and YouTube Shorts, and the ensuing impact on your streams.
The objective is to answer 2 major questions for artists:
- Is my music performing well on TikTok and YouTube Shorts?
- How does that impact my global streaming performance?
Please keep in mind that we receive short-form videos data up to D+1, while data on streams is available on D+2.
This new feature consists of 2 pages:
- An overview of your whole catalog’s performances on TikTok and YouTube Shorts
- A focus on a given track you select from the overview
You may also click on this icon for more insights on each metrics of the page.
Overview of your catalog’s performance on Short-form platforms
At the top of the page, you may filter and restrict the analysis to 7, 28, 90 or 365 days.
You may also filter the data and isolate TikTok or YouTube Shorts performances thanks to the platform selector, or combine both:
These filters instantly update all displayed data and can be modified at any time, on any page.
At the top of the page, you'll find your best performing track on short-form videos platforms with the highest number of video creations including this track. You can click on it to dive deeper into this specific track short-form videos performances.
Then you will find 3 key KPIs:
Your total creations: number of videos created on TikTok and/or YouTube Shorts which included one of your tracks. A comparison is automatically made with the previous similar period (for example, last 7 days vs. previous 7 days).
Your total views: total number of views on TikTok and/or YouTube Shorts videos which included one of your tracks. A comparison is automatically made with the previous similar period.
Your total audio streams: total number of audio streams on your whole catalog. A comparison is automatically made with the previous similar period.
A link to our dedicated documentation to learn all about short-form videos marketing and performance.
Note that if you don’t have any track performing yet on short-form video platforms during the selected period, you will find a page with 3 selected articles that will help you start your journey on short-form platforms.
Below your KPIs, you will find a list of all your tracks that have been included in at least in 1 TikTok or YouTube Shorts video over the selected time period. These tracks are ranked by number of video creations, in descending order. For each track, you will find:
- Number of videos created using the track
- Number of views of videos which included the track
- Top 3 territories where TikTok videos that include the track were created
- Number of audio streams generated by this track on all streaming platforms
You may also click on a specific track to access a more detailed view of its performance.
Detailed performance of a track
At the top of the page, you will find a reminder of the KPIs displayed in the global table:
- Number of creations using your track
- Number of views of short-form videos using your track
- Top territories where the most TikTok videos including one of your tracks were created
- Global streams generated by your track on all streaming platforms
Below, you will find a chart allowing you to compare different track metrics over time, based on your selected period in the top right corner:
- Number of video creations
- Number of views
- Number of streams on all platforms
This chart will help you better understand the direct correlation between your short-forms videos performance and general streaming evolution and analyze the bridge between these 2 types of music consumption.
You may add or remove filters to help navigate the chart.
Please note that acquired data on streams has a 2-day delay while acquired data on TikTok or YouTube Shorts has up to 1-day delay. Therefore, the curves do not end on the same day.
At the bottom of the page, you will find a list of the 50 territories in which your track has most been included in TikTok or YouTube Shorts videos. This will allow you to tailor specific local strategies.
At the very botom of every page, you'll also find 2 indicators about the freshness of the data with the latest dates when the data has been updated.
Questions you may ask
Is Douyin data available on the platform?
Yes, Douyin is available in TikTok data.
How fresh is the displayed data?
Acquired data on streams has a 2-day delay while acquired data on TikTok has a 1-day delay, and YouTube Shorts may have up to a 7-days delay. Therefore, the curves may not end on the same day.
You can refer to the widgets at the bottom of the page to know the freshness of the data.
How is my catalog monetized on Short-form platforms?
TikTok monetizes the video creation, whereas YouTube Shorts monetizes views based on ads.
What is the difference between UGC & PGC on Short-form platforms?
When uploading a song to TikTok, you select a specific extract for that song that will available for users when creating videos through playlists. All videos created with the extract you provided are Playlist-generated content (PGC).
However, a user can choose to use another part of your song. As TikTok fingerprints your whole song, it is able to link the audio of the video to your song. This is User-generated content (UGC).
UGC can represent between 5 to 100% of the content created with your music.
YouTube Shorts uses a more classic approach : UGC represents videos created by third-party, and PGC represents videos created by the artist.
Do I analyze UGC or PGC in the Short-form videos Analytics page?
We display both UGC & PGC.
I don't see the same number of video creations between Backstage and the TikTok app. How can you explain this gap?
The gap can be explained by 2 factors:
- We display PGC & UGC, when the TikTok app only displays PGC;
- The number that you see on the TikTok app is the number of videos that are currently live and public on the platform. This number does not include private or deleted videos. However, the number you see in Backstage is the sum of the number of videos created each day. It can include private videos and videos that have since been deleted.
Why can’t I see any creations by territory data for YouTube Shorts?
We do not receive this level of data from YouTube Shorts.
To learn more about Short-form videos Analytics, go to Artist Resources on Backstage.