Tags are used for the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) of your videos both in terms of search and video recommendations, in addition to other metadata such as title and description. The most important keywords are included in the title, description and tags.
The tags include the artist name, title, the title of the corresponding album, genre, type of video (clip, interview), mood, etc.
How to optimize your tags
- Think about what keyword the audience spontaneously uses to get to one of your videos, such as "night music" "sports music" "melancholic songs".
- Make sure your tags are relevant as "misleading" tags will lead viewers to only watch a small part of your video as the video does meet their expectations, thus reducing the retention of your audience. This will have effects negative on your SEO. Irrelevant keywords include similar artists, words that are too vague, or "spam."
- Maximum 10 tags on your videos. YouTube does not allow excessive tagging, otherwise, the platform will detect "deceptive practices" or "scams".
How to add tags to your videos
- Go to the Creator Studio tab and then click on the title or thumbnail of the video you want to edit.
- Add tags in the "Tags" field and click the "Save" button.