Tags are used for the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) of your videos both in terms of search and video recommendations, in addition to other metadata such as title and description. The most important keywords are included in the title, description and tags.
The tags include the artist name, title, the title of the corresponding album, genre, type of video (clip, interview), mood, etc.
How to optimize your tags
- Think about what keyword the audience spontaneously use to land on one of your videos, such as "night music" "sport music" "melancholic songs".
- Make sure your tags are relevant as "misleading" tags will lead viewers to look at a small portion of your video and not corresponding to their expectations, thus reducing the retention of your audience and will have effects negative on your SEO. Irrelevant keywords include similar artists, words that are too vast, or "spam."
- Maximum 10 tags on your videos. YouTube does not allow excessive tagging, otherwise the platform will detect "deceptive practices" or "scams".
How to add tags to your videos
- Go to the Creator Studio tab and then click on the title or thumbnail of the video you want to edit.
- Add tags in the "Tags" field and click the "Save" button.