For the multiple releases submission, or a catalog transfer, you have the option of using the XLS template upload that you can find in the Backstage.
To discover all the possible ways of content submission, please refer to the article Create a release in the Believe Backstage.
1. Types of templates
Several types of templates are available for uploading audio releases, depending on the type of release.
Regarding audio releases:
- Album Extended *
- Classical Opera
- Classical Other
Depending on your contract, you will also find:
- Music Video
- Entertainment Video
- News Video
- Gaming Video
*This is a template in which you are able to fill in store artist IDs on Apple Music and Spotify.
2. Filling-in the templates
For tips on filling in-in the metadata templates, follow the indications below.
- Make sure to provide the information to all mandatory fields - they do not have the inscription (Optional).
- Do not leave empty lines in between the different releases. The system distinguishes releases by the release name, not by the empty line. An empty line may result in an error.
Respecting the expected field format
- The digital release date and the original release date must be entered in MM/DD/YYYY format and nothing else. The only format the system will accept is the following: 01/25/2023 - meaning that the release will be released on January 25, 2023.
- Do not write the production year in the C-Line and P-Line columns.
- The genre must be chosen from the drop-down menu.
- If you do not wish to add a subgenre (i.e. if your subgenre is the same as your genre) please leave the subgenre field empty.
Managing territory restrictions
- If you wish to restrict the delivery territories of your release, please indicate it in the column "Territories to deliver" of the Excel.
- If you wish to deliver worldwide, please leave it blank
- Use the following format: "-XX", replacing the "XX" with the ISO code of the restricted countries and leaving a space between the values. For example: -JP -GB. It means that Japan and United Kingdom are restricted.
- Please refer to the list of ISO codes
Adding several volumes
- The “CD Number” column indicates the volume number on the album.
- If your release has 2 volumes (Double Album), you must indicate “1” for all the tracks of the first volume and “2” for all the tracks of the second volume of the same release.
- The album title is enough to distinguish two different albums.
Managing the contributors
For “Jazz” & “Album Extended” templates only.
- Make sure to fill in the second sheet ’Contributors’ of the template, where you must provide all the information for the contributors
- For each contributor, you can add 1 to 4 different roles.
- You can add a contributor to one or more of the tracks in the album by respecting the following format [Volume_number].[Track_number]. For example, John Doe is the main artist of tracks 1, 2 and 3, respectively, in the Track# field you specify: 1.1;1.2;1.3, where the first digit is the volume number, and the second digit is the serial number of the track.
- If a contributor has several roles but not on the same tracks (for example author on 1.1;1.2 and composer on 1.2;1.3), you can use one line for each role of your contributor and add the track numbers. For example: on line 2, John Doe is an author on 1.1;1.2, and on line 3, John Doe is a composer on 1.2;1.3.
- If your release is instrumental, make sure to credit at least one artist and one composer per track. If it has lyrics, the track must have an author as well.
Adding store artist IDs
For the “Album Extended” template only
- For each contributor, you may add Spotify or Apple Music artist IDs.
- Only add the ID of the artist pages, not the entire URL/URI:
- NOT GOOD: https://open.spotify.com/artist/6gK1Uct5FEdaUWRWpU4Cl2
- GOOD: 6gK1Uct5FEdaUWRWpU4Cl2
- In case of an incorrect artist ID format, our system will automatically delete the information, and you may need to re-add the id in the Backstage before submitting your release.
For any advice regarding store artist ID management, please learn how to find Spotify or Apple Music artist IDs.
The following information is essential to successfully upload an XLS template:
- The release title in the Metadata tab must be identical to the one in the Contributors tab (Release title field).
- The number of tracks must be identical to the number you are going to specify in the Contributors (Track# field). Then if there are 5 tracks in the release, but you specify 1.6 in the Track# field, an error will appear.
- The system requires a clear format when specifying tracks, otherwise there will be an error, the system will not be able to match the contributors for the track. The only correct format is: 1.1;1.2;1.3 - and nothing else.